"One of the key factors in motivating students to read is a teacher who values reading and is enthusiastic about sharing a love of reading with students. I believe that it is within the power of every teacher to inspire and motivate children to find a lifetime of pleasure and information in the reading of good books." (Gambrell, p.7)
I love this quote, mostly because I know it's true from my own experience. I had two teachers who were key in the development of my love for reading. In my elementary school, we were taught by several different teachers a day, each in charge of a different subject. My reading teachers in third and fourth grade were wonderful. They both loved reading, and you could tell--from the way their rooms were decorated to highlight books and authors, to the way they always had a book open during independent reading time. They made a huge deal out of book fairs and class trips to the library, and this made me feel like books were exciting and special. The fact that teachers have such a significant effect on their students' enthusiasm about reading is daunting to me, but also encouraging.
What's the best way to get your students excited about books?
I think a way to get students excited is to set aside time each day to read outloud to the class with enthusiasm. Talk about books that you enjoy as a teacher. Also find out what the students are interested in and suggest to them books on that topic. If they are interested in the topic they will be more likely to want to read.
ReplyDeleteI think allowing kids to find books that are interesting to them individually would make a huge difference. This can help kids discover that there is always a book that can interest them personally. A lot of time the class assigned books, although generally good books, don't end up being universally liked by every student in this class.
ReplyDelete