Saturday, September 25, 2010

Misty Ivie - Week 3 - Pedagogic Creed

Quote - "I believe that education, therefore, is a process of living and not preparation for future living." I believe that the school must represent real life - life as real and vital to the child as that which he carries on in the home, in the neighborhood, or on the play-ground." John Dewey

Comment - John Dewey's Pedagogic creed is my favorite thing we have read so far in this class. I really love his statements about what he believes education to be. It started me thinking more seriously about what my own feelings about teaching are. How do I view what education is, what the school is, and what education is? I know that one of my strongest believes about education echos the quote above. Education to me is about real life and the more we relate our teaching to real life, the more engaged our students will be.

Question - What was your favorite statement about education from John Dewey?

1 comment:

  1. Well, Miss Misty, since we both wrote about this quote, obviously this was both of our favorite! I really love this whole creed because it showed me how important it is to have my own creed so that if I need to defend my teaching style or beliefs to an administrator, I will have the words to say. Or maybe I'll just say, "Let me email you my creed, then we can chat."

    ReplyDelete