Quote: Children’s understanding about the purposes of reading and writing reflects how written language is used in their community (Tompkins pg. 112).
Comment: I agree with this quote because in different communities reading and writing can be used in different ways. Depending on the type of community you are in, it will reflect the understanding you have of reading and writing. In some households, you may only see reading and writing used for making shopping lists or to write bills. In others, you may see families that record daily in their journals about what happened in their day or impressions they felt. Reading and writing serves different purposes in each of the households and will reflect differently on each child. One’s purpose is for more practical use and is straightforward. While the second one is used takes a more creative approach. The writing has feeling and emotions behind it. Both types are needed in this world, but they serve very different purposes and will affect a child’s understanding of reading and writing.
Question: How can we as teachers try to give our students a wide range of understanding about the purposes of what reading and writing can be used for?
Melissa, I really appreciated your comment! I love the thought of there being two different types of reading and writing but that both are essential in a child's life. Sometimes while teaching, we focus solely on the creative aspect of reading and writing. But I hope that when I am teaching that I won't forget the practical part of reading and writing. Thanks again for your comment!
ReplyDelete