"Many teachers assume that children from families with low socioeconomic status have few, if any, literacy events in their homes...teachers cannot make generalizations and must look at each child as an individual from a unique family setting." (Tompkins p. 29)
Comment:
I liked how the book talked about how important it is for the parents to be involved in the learning of their children, and especially literacy. The more the parents are excited about reading and writing the more the children will be. I liked this quote because I think it can be so easy to judge a family based on their socioeconomic status and assume that parents of certain students "can't possibly be interested in their children's learning". However, I hope that as we become teachers that we can look beyond the outward appearance of our students and their families and rather assume that the parents are vert much willing to help their children in their education. And the more excited we, as the teachers, are for the children to learn the more the parents will be as well. We not only have to be a good example and a model for the students, but also for their parents.
Question:
BUT, what if you have parents that are as combative and uncooperative as they come, and refuse to show up for any meetings or conferences with you, the teacher, and every note you send home with the student comes back unsigned? Do you ever give up on the parents and try to help the student as much as you can, or do you keep pushing, hoping that one day those parents will be interested in and supportive of their child's education?
I don't think you should ever give up hope on those parents but I also think reality is you as the teacher need to then be even more supportive to the student and help the student to find other mentors' forms of support. Such as other teachers/club advisors/religious leaders.
ReplyDelete