Quote: "I have long been convinced that the central and most important goal of reading instruction is to foster the love of reading. My interest in the role of motivation in literacy development is grounded in the belief that teacher's play a critical role in helping children develop into readers who read both for pleasure and information." (Gambrell, 14)
Comment: I completely agree with this statement. I believe that if children don't come out of school, particularly the earliest grades, with an appreciation and love of reading, then we as teachers have failed them. We must allow children to explore many different texts, and to guide their discovery of the wonderful world of reading.
Question: What ways can teachers help students that have incorrect views about reading being "uncool" or boring and turn them into enthusiastic readers?
I think one of the best ways is to show by example that reading can be enjoyable. When students see other people reading and enjoying themselves it might help to influence them to try reading themselves. As a teacher, let students have a choice of what to read. When they are always force to read assigned books, they will feel as if they have to read the book and not reading it because they want to.
ReplyDeleteMelissa Turner (3)