Saturday, September 11, 2010

Kristen Savage (4) Reading Motivation

Quote: "Four key features appear to be associated with motivation to read: access to books in the classroom, opportunities to self-select books, familiarity with books, and social interactions with others about books."

Comment: That quote stood out to me because it seems to easy to motivate kids with those four ideas, but in reality I think it is hard to motivate students to read. I remember when I was in elementary school I hated to read. When they gave us SSR time, I would just stare at the book even though I could choose it myself. I'm worried that even if we use those four key features to try to motivate it won't be enough.

Question: Besides those four key ideas, how else will you motivate your students? What if you have a student who is completely unmotivated? What kind of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation will you use?

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny, I picked the same quote too!
    Well I liked the idea that the teacher gave us in class of bringing a bunch of books from the library every few weeks. This way the students are excited to see what new books have arrived and will be looking foward to reading them.
    If I had a student that was struggling, I think I would have him pick a book and read with him. While he reads I would point out all the exciting things that are going on in the book so that he would be intrigued by the story and eventually realize how much fun he can have by reading stories.

    ReplyDelete