Saturday, September 4, 2010

Karalee Langton - Emergent Literacy

Quote: "At first, they can reread their writing only immediately after writing, but with experience, they learn to remember what their writing says, and as their writing becomes more conventional, they're able to read it more easily." (Tompkins 119)

Comment: I thought this quote was important because it shows the level some students are at when we first meet them. I thought that this chapter was interesting because it shows the levels of progress we will be dealing with as we began the journey of teaching students how to progress. This chapter helped me to remember what it was like to learn to read and write, it also helped to put me into the students shoes.

Question: What type of literacy should we teach more in the classroom traditional or the idea that literacy is not only reading and writing? Or does there need to be a balance to reach every student in the classroom more effectively?

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the quote you used! It definitely brought reading and writing at a younger age into perspective for us as teachers.

    To answer your question about defining literacy in the classroom, I think a balance of talking about reading and writing as literacy to the students and then explaining how it can be defined also as pictures and so on is a good idea. Of course the focus could be geared toward reading and writing but to give the students a taste of what literacy might mean could broaden their perspective. I think it really depends on what group of students you have and the age. The older they are, the easier it would be to explain literacy as something other than reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete