Friday, September 3, 2010

Jordan Sanders (3) Readers of Different Levels

Quote: "Ms. McCloskey understands that her students are moving through three delelepmental stages-emergent, beginning, and fluent- as they learn to read and write." (Tompkins 107)

Comment: Reading this look into a real classroom made me realize just how much diversity there will be among our students reading backgrounds. It made me realize that I need to learn much more about how children learn how to read so that I can know what activities to use with which levels of kids, and which activities will be effective for all stages of literacy learning.

Question: How do we make sure we meet the learning needs of all students when they are all progressing at different paces?

1 comment:

  1. I understand where you're coming from. This is one of my greatest fears with teaching, being able to teach each student in the way that they personally need it. I would like to learn more about which teaching styles work best for which students when it comes to teaching literacy. I think the key is first getting your students interested in being literate by applying what they learn to their interests and home life. Good question! I hope it's answered in our class at some point :).

    ReplyDelete