Quote: "It is generally acknowledged that motivation plays a critical role in learning. It often makes the difference between learning that is superficial and shallow and learning that is deep and internalized. Because of the powerful influence that motivation plays in literacy learning, teachers are more interested that ever before in understanding the relationships that exist between motivation and achievement and in learning how to help all students achieve the goal of becoming effective, lifelong readers."
Comment: I feel like this is one of my greatest concerns as becoming a new teacher. I have such a strong desire to find the best ways to motivate my students to grasp the concept of reading and run with it throughout the rest of their lives. With all the reading we've done in the semester this far and discussions we've had with teachers and classmates I think one of the number one things we can do to help our students in this area is to show them our passion and love for reading. If they can have a good role model and support in this endeavor they will be more likely to pick up some of the same reading habits. I also think is important that we provide enough positive reading experiences and opportunities in the classroom. Not just SSR time, read aloud time, reading centers, but integrated through out the entire day. I love the idea given about letting kids read the room! I think we can find so many creative and positive ways to encourage our students to read, and want to continue to read for the rest of their lives.
Question: What are some ways that we can get parents at home to continue this idea of their children becoming life long readers?
No comments:
Post a Comment