Quote: "Teachers create a rich literacy environment and begin by reading books and poems aloud and singing songs so children can learn to recognize and pronounce English sound patterns. To plan effective phonemic awareness instruction, teachers need to be familiar with English learners' home languages and understand how they differ from English. Instruction should begin with sounds that children can pronounce easily and that don't conflict with those in their home language."
Comment: I thought this quote was very insightful for those of us who may be teaching students who are just learning English even though we may not be certified. I think it is such a great idea to familiarize ourselves with sounds from their language so that we can find commonalities. If we can build off of what they already know their first learning will be more positive and successful. Teachers should be aware of the sounds in our language that will be new for the English learners and be sensitive to this understanding. Phonemic awareness for not only English but for their first language can be very beneficial in our teaching and working with these children individually.
Question: Are we going to have to be working with many ESL kids during literacy time if we are not certified to teach them? If so what are some other ways we can be sensitive to their learning disadvantages and help them have more success as they work on their English?
Jess, I'm not sure what the situation is for ESL students but it is definitely something I am curious about as well. I know personally I do not feel prepared to help students read, I can't imagine teaching students to read who don't fully understand English. I'm sure there will be lots of help and support in the school. There will always be teachers to help and offer advice when they may see you struggling. I agree that familiarizing yourself with the other language would be very beneficial and definitely would help to increase your understanding of your student.
ReplyDelete