Quote: "The school life should grow gradually out of the home life; it should continue the activities which the child is already familiar with in the home. Home life should exhibit activities to the child, and reproduce them in such ways that the child will gradually learn the meaning of them and be capable of playing his own part in relation to them. This is a psychological necessity, because it is the only way of securing continuity in the child's growth, the only way of giving a back ground of past experience to the new ideas given in school."
Comment: Almost every article we have been assigned to read, has said something about the importance of children being taught in the home. I find this quote very powerful and completely agree with what it says. Children begin to learn the day they are born and their knowledge of the world around them continues to expand as they grow older. Parents have a crucial part in helping their children succeed. I believe this success starts in the home. When children have a background of the importance of reading and writing, school will be less stressful and frustrating to them as they begin. They will feel proud of their accomplishments and confident in their own ability.
Question: What are some activities that parents can do with their children to help them with their education before they begin school? How can parents continue to be involved in their child's school work once they begin school?
I have actually been thinking about this a lot lately. I think that the first thing children should learn to do is read and write and to do that they have to understand sounds. I think a good activity to do, even with young children, would be to make an ABC book and go over the sounds that each letter makes. I think giving children writing utensils and paper, even before they can "write" is also another way to encourage them to begin writing.
ReplyDeleteOh and the second question, I think that parents can volunteer at childrens' schools, be active participants in the reading-at-home process, set routine schedules for homework, and provide supplies for childrens' success.
ReplyDelete