Comment: I think that as teachers, especially primary grade teachers, we need to instill a lifelong love of reading. It is important to make sure they enjoy reading aesthetically so that when they switch into an efferent stance, it will not negatively affect their feelings toward reading. I think that teachers assign reading assignments too often that are not beneficial to their students' progression. If reading becomes a chore, students will spend a lot of wasteful time dreading their education. When students look forward to learning and progressing (even when it involves reading), I think they will be more happy and more successful. My early elementary school teachers showed me their love of reading. Because they made it important in their lives, I wanted reading to be important in my life.
Question: What are some ways that teachers can make textbook readings more of an aesthetic experience rather than an efferent experience?
My first idea to making textbook reading more of an aesthetic experience is to let them read the text in groups. Then let that group discuss the material they read. Maybe have a list of main topics you want them to talk about from the reading. This way they are not filling in sheets with the vocab, instead they are bouncing back ideas and thoughts they had about the
ReplyDeletedifferent topics discussed. I find that when i discuss what i'm reading it helps me connect with the information better and I learn things that others caught on to that I didn't. I also think you could involved fun dramatic ways for each group to share what they learned. You could have the students act out their favorite history story, or perform one of the science experiments they learned about, etc.