Thursday, September 16, 2010

Heidi Burnett (4) English Learners

Quote: "It's essential that teachers learn about English learners' home language, especially about the ways it differs from English, and then they need to explicitly teach students about the contrasts because they're harder to learn than the similarities. Consider these written language differences, for example: Chinese uses syllable-length characters instead of letters; Arabic is written from right to left, and the way letters are formed varies according to their location within a word; and vowels aren't used in Croatian and Czech" (Tompkins, pg. 171)

Comment: It blows my mind to think about how difficult it would be to learn English as a second language. English is so extremely strange and random sometimes that I think it would be so hard to try and remember all the exceptions to all the rules. Things like: y is a consonant, but sometimes a vowel; e is completely silent in numerous words; a double o sounds like ooo in words like pool, but sounds like oh in words like door. It is SO confusing! I am honestly impressed with anyone who learns as a secondary language.
This quote also made me aware that I have an important responsibility to do all that I can to help English learners transition as easily as possible from reading and spelling in their first language to reading and spelling in English. I will need to made a concerted effort to find the major differences and clear up any confusion to the best of my abilities. It will be a challenge since I have never gone to school with or taught any English learners, but I am up for the challenge. :)

Question: What are some things that you can change in your personal way of thinking and teaching to better help teach English learners to read and write in English?

1 comment:

  1. This is a perfect comment/ question for me, having English as my second language. Granted I don't really remember learning English, and I feel like I have known it my entire life, I don't know everything, and sometimes feel like I am still learning it. I also teach Norwegian to Americans at BYU, so I have some experience in teaching a language to people. What I always stress with my students is to not be afraid to make mistakes, and to not focus on words they don't know. Just try and figure out the general idea and context, and the rest will come with practice. I think as teachers of students learning English, we have to encourage them to practice, and to not get down of themselves for not getting everything right away. They are children, and will get it soon enough. It is also important to not correct them when they are making mistakes, but notice the mistakes they make and teach it to them correctly using examples, and showing them the right way instead of telling them they made a mistake and tell them what is right.

    There are a million other things that are important, but I think the most important thing is to be patient with them, show them love and encouragement, and make sure they give themselves the same kind of patience and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete