Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hannah Austin-Guided Reading

Quote "The studetns continue reading on their own while the teacher supervises. Afterward, they discuss the book, review vocabuolary words and practice skills. Later, students reread the book independently."

Comment: While I like the idea of reading with the teacher, and then reviewing the book, I worry that if the student's read it one more time (by themselves at the end), they'll get bored with it (unless it's like a short picture book). I know that with text books, I read them before class, review them in class, and then skim through them before a test. With recreational books, I read them, and then if I like them, I'll skim through them one more time. If I had to read any of these books completely one more time, I'd go crazy with the boredom. With a picture book, I don't think children would mind, but with a chapter book in an older grade, I think it would just make the children hate reading.

Question: I realize that the teacher just wants to bring it all together at the end by having them read it by themselves, but is there a better way of doing this with larger books in the higher grade levels? Would it still be effective to use a series, and after reading the first book as a group, have them read the second book by themselves, instead of rereading the same book?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you in feeling that the students may get bored with having to read the book over again. I think that teachers could find the same success in learning skills and vocabulary by having a student find a book that is at that same level to read independently rather than reading the same book twice. A series could be very effective as long as the books in the entire series are at the same level and as long as the child likes the series and wants to go on reading a second book. I think students will enjoy the reading much better if they are given a variety of books to choose from to learn the skills the teacher is aiming at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that rereading the same book would be very boring. My suggestion would be to for the teacher to make a list of vocabulary words that she wants the students to learn from the reading and do activities to learn the vocab and then read the book and let the students get excited about reading a book with words in it that they just learned.

    ReplyDelete