Saturday, September 4, 2010

Esther Dolman (3) - Emergent Readers

Quote: "Ms. McCloskey is working with a group of four emergent readers, and today they'll read Playing, a seven-page predictable book with one line of text on each page that uses the pattern 'I like to _____....' [She] does a picture walk, talking about the picture on each page and naming the activity the child is doing--running, jumping, etc.... The children eagerly reread the book several times, becoming more confident and excited with each reading (Tompkins, 109)."

Comment: I thought it was interesting that each level of readers had a different activity.  Instead of giving all of her students the same assignments where the low level struggles, gives up and goofs off and the high level completes the task early and goofs off, each have their own assignment prescribed for their level.  The low level was of particular interest to me.  It seems like these students may not actually be progressing in their reading.  They may be looking at the pictures and assuming the written words in the book.  

Question: How will I encourage my students to read with or without pictures to guide them?

1 comment:

  1. I think the most effective way for children to be able to read picture books and books without pictures is to make them familiar with both. Allow for both types of reading to take place in the classroom frequently. Read your favorite picture books to them as well as short novels. I think it is important to introduce children to rich literature and rich art in literature which will help them foster a love for both.

    ReplyDelete