Quote: "Many teachers 'model' reading during sustained silent reading in their classrooms, and although this is an admirable practice, I believe it presents a passive, rather than an explicit, model of what it means to be a reader. Teachers become explicit reading models when they share their own reading experiences with students and emphasize how reading enhances and enriches their lives."
Comment: I've heard that the best way to create lovers of reading is to be a lover of reading. But I always thought that reading with the students during silent reading was enough. It shows that reading is just as important to the teacher as it is to the students. I have a hard time picturing myself having a conversation about how reading "enhances and enriches" my life without sounding unnatural and cheesy to my students. I love to read, but I assumed that modeling reading would be enough to pass that love on.
Question: How can I develop the kind of relationship with my students that allows me to share with them how much I love reading and to discuss different books and reading experiences with them?
I feel that you as a teacher may feel like you are being cheesy, but students will not think that if you continually share reading experiences with them. I also think that what you think is cheesy the students will love. At least I hope so!
ReplyDeleteIf you read a book that truly strikes you, I think it will come naturally for you to share your experience with the class. You could then share how the book made you see things differently, and how you have been enriched from reading the book because you probably would not have been able to see such-and-such with the same light as you do now, etc. I know that when I read a book and come across something that sparks my attention my mind continues to ponder about that experience. Therefore, it is easier to share my thought process and seek the opinions of others about the topic/scenario/message/quote, etc., because I am still pondering the matter myself. I would talk about something that hits you or pose a question that makes you think rather than feel like you have to come up with some "cheesy" response to inspire your students to read. By sharing and posing questions you are causing your students to use critical thinking, which may empower them to read books that cause them to think deeply...you may actually be encouraging students to challenge their reading and expose themselves to different genres.
ReplyDelete