Quote: "Two important tenets are that knowledge must be presented in an authentic way and that learning requires social interaction and collaboration. This theory rejects the notion of separating learning to do something and actually doing it and emphasizes the idea of apprenticeship" (p. 9).
Comment: I think the idea of viewing learning as an apprenticeship rather than a sit and listen theory is a key factor to producing effective teaching and learning. The book gave the example of if you want to become a cook you go to a cooking school. I believe this is a great connection made, because I feel that too often parents and students view school as a have to instead of a want to. I feel that by producing a type of elementary apprenticeship students will be more willing to learn about various subjects as they actually experience the information physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Question: Currently, do you think the idea of an apprenticeship is being used to help get elementary students excited about learning? Is this viewed as an effective method?
I love the idea of authentic learning too! It answers the age old question, when am I really going to need to know this? A lot of the time we do things in school that really do have nothing to do with the real world. This idea of apprenticeship is great, but I don't think it has quite trickled down to the elementary schools yet. I know that in high schools there are a lot of new hands on learning concepts where students have mentors who are actually in the workforce the student is hoping to join. I myself interned for a whole school year in two seperate elementary schools for 3 periods a day. I don't necessarily think that students in elementary schools need to have a specific field of interest, but a whole smattering of choices to do. This will get them pumped and excited for learning, enabling them to find something that they really like, and what they are good at, finding Success and fun in the school room!
ReplyDelete