Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Courtney Harrison Week 2 Young readers and writers

Quote:"At first young children depend on context to read familiar words and memorized texts, but slowly, they develop relationships linking form and meaning as they gain more reading and writing experience."
Comment: I thought it was so interesting that children depend on context and signs and logos that are out in the environment. I thought it helped build a good connection between sounds once students understood what the logo name sounds like and linking that to other words that start the same way.
Question: When begining to collect our personal libraries for our classrooms, should we target in on some lower grade books and some higher grade books, or should we just stick to one or the other depending on what grade we want to teach. I would just hate to get a bunch of first grade books and then end up teaching fifth grade.
Quote: "learning letters of the alphabet requires many, many experiences with MEANINGFUL written language and recommend that teachers take steps to encourage children's alphabet learning"

1 comment:

  1. Courtney,
    I loved that part about environmental print in the lecture today as well. I had never given any thought to that as part of literacy. Interestingly though, my daughter in kindergarten was sent home today with a request for parents to send an item of environmental print for class. In response to your question, I would say that is a tough one. I think you can always use books in your home. I have a pretty extensive collection of children's books that I read to my daughters.

    ReplyDelete