Quote: "Research is underpinned by a belief that children's literacy comes from the home, and the home is where children learn much of their literacy skills...research also recognizes the importance of parents in supporting their children."
Comment: I wholeheartedly believe that parents truly play a huge role in helping their children learn to read, write, and grow in their literacy. I remember when I was really young, my dad would encourage me to read, and he would create competitions with me and my sisters to see who could read the most in a period of time. I would often catch him reading church books, and we would read books aloud together at night. I knew that reading was important to my dad, and because I look up to him so much, I learned to love reading for myself. Every night, he would have me read to him and he would listen. These experiences show me how much parents can help their children to love reading. Parents can also read to their children and model fluent reading so children know how it's supposed to sound. Parent involvement is highly important, and as teachers we should try our best to get parents interested in their children's learning.
Question: What can teachers do to help parents realize how important their support is in regards to their children's literacy?
I also believe that parent involvement is extremely important when a child is learning to read. I also believe that parent involvement is severely lacking at many schools and teachers need to do all they can for the sake of the students. I think at the beginning of the year when teachers have parent teacher conferences they can emphasize the importance of being involved in their child's schoolwork especially literacy. Teachers can give suggestions of ways to help their child to enjoy reading and writing at home. Have parents learn more about their child's interests and suggest books, magazines, articles that relate to their interests. Make sure parents have a variety of books in reach at home. Parents should be a good role model. If the child sees their parents reading they may want to also.
ReplyDelete