Saturday, September 11, 2010

Anna Munk (3)- Motivation

Quote: “It is generally acknowledged that motivation plays a critical role in learning. It often makes the difference between learning that is superficial and shallow and learning that is deep and internalized” (Gambrel).


Comment: I really agree with this statement. Motivation is key in learning. If students are not motivated or interested in the subjects that they are presented with, they tend to not really do and think about the information. I also think that if you are motivated and interested in what you are learning you will do better in that subject. I know in my own education I had teachers that could motivate me to want to learn about the most boring subjects. I also had times when I was not motivated about a subject and I didn't really try hard or do well in the class. If we as teachers can motivate our students to learn about all subjects (especially reading) we can really make a difference in the type of learning they experience.


Question: How can we as teachers motivate our students to read? How can we motivate our students to learn about subjects that they find boring? Can we really help students create learning that is deep and internalized?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with this. Motivation is so important. In one (or a few) of my classes, the teacher was talking about teacher excitment and enthusiasm as a great motivator. I think that if the teacher is excited about reading, and shows by example how great reading is, and then shares that excitment every day with the class, the enthusiasm will be contagious. I think if the students can see someone they really look up to, and who cares about them, show a love of reading and they can see the benefits it provides that person, than they will be more motivated to read, and create that deep love of learning in themselves.

    ReplyDelete