Friday, September 10, 2010

Ana Marques (3) Motivation Reading

Quote: "The goal of RS (Running Start Program) is to increase the reading motivation and behaviors of first-grade children by indreasing the number of books in the classroom library, allowing children to choose what they read, encouraging children to take books home to share with family members, support children in reaching the 21 book goal, and rewarding children for achieving the goal." (Gambrell, 1996, p.18)
Comment: I loved the article because I think the major problem is not whether children are or not talented, but motivated. This behavior is learned in the early stages of their little lives. If the children's family has a poor educational background this program is a little hope for their future curiosity for education.
Question: Do you think teachers could truly impact children's motivations if at home there are circumstances that do not support the RS Program?

1 comment:

  1. I think so! I think that it is always a good thing when there is home involvement but we as teachers are also very powerful influences. This is a hard one though. I imagine that it will be very frustrating o watch children struggle because they have disadvantages at home. I think that the nest thing we can do as teachers is have a positive attitude, show that reading is fun and expose children to as many types of reading as we can!

    ReplyDelete