Comment: When I read this quote, I realized that I have just been going to literacy class learning how to teach students to read, but I haven't decided why I think it's so important to create readers out of my students. I need to figure this out so that I can inspire them to want to read. If I don't know why it's important for them to read, then they won't take reading seriously or me seriously, for that matter.
When I was an English major for a couple of years, I realized that my dream of being an editor wouldn't really pan out after I graduated, so I switched to elementary education with the intent to teach my students to love reading as much as I do. I want my students to read for themselves, not because they're supposed to. I want them to know that they will need it for their entire lives, but I want them to see the intrinsic value. I want them to know of the worlds, peoples, information, and skills that they can learn about from reading. I want them to be able to relate texts to themselves, which will help them realize who they want to be and what they want to do in life.
Question: Answer the quote. What is your personal philosophy on why reading is so important?
Ali, I share your love of reading as well. English was always my favorite subject in school. I would say that my personal reason for reading is that being a great reader has opened many doors for me. I was shy as a child but I was always very confident reading aloud. I was never afraid to read to a crowd of people. I had many chances to get over my tendency toward shyness because of public speaking. That is just one example of how reading skills helped me in other areas of life and school. I truly believe that if you are a great reader, you can do anything. My grandmother always taught me that you can learn anything by opening a book (she was a very avid reader and a doctor, so I felt she was a pretty smart lady :).
ReplyDeleteI am extremely passionate about reading. Ever since 2nd grade I have loved it and continue to love it. The biggest thing that I want me students to get from it is to learn to love it as much as me. Learning to love to read will not only give them an enjoyable pass time, but it will improve their spelling and grammar and help them to write better. I want my students to learn to love to read because it is through that skill that they can blossom so much as a learner.
ReplyDelete