Saturday, September 4, 2010

Ali Spittler, 4, Classroom Community

Quote: "Children and teachers work together for the common good of the community" (Literacy for the 21st Century, p12).

Comment: For the past several years, I have looked up to a family in my ward whose kids have such pride in their family, and they really are a team. I think that this same thing can happen in our classrooms. I want my students to desire to keep the sense of community, because so much more can be accomplished if everyone works together. I want them to work for the community because they love their classmates and me.

Question: How do you make your students feel comfortable enough to step out of their comfort zone? Because I think that vulnerability is what really adds to a classroom community?

1 comment:

  1. I think that creating a classroom environment of safety and love would contribute to the ability of students to be able to feel vulnerable. Probably a good way to do this would be to instill a love for each other in the classroom. Constantly emphasize embracing differences and loving each other for who they are. Leading by example is always a good way for students to learn to love and lookout for one another. Having classroom discussions that address issues (like a class meeting where people can bring up problems they've had with other students in the class) so that students feel loved and involved. This will also allow us to address issues as a group, it is important when doing this to NOT point fingers and blame but to understand both sides and fix what needs fixing.

    ReplyDelete